Monday, November 10, 2008

Story fragment

In the deep predawn I wake to the groan of wind and the sound of Crepe Myrtle clawing at my window pane. I lie beneath a mound of cool linen and wait for my mind to piece itself together again, for memories to coalesce, but all I see is a whorl of capering silhouettes and so remain in a limbo of stupor. Rising, I grope for the light switch. In the bathroom I’m still half-asleep, and the white ceramic curve of the toilet is a giant deviled egg without the devil. Have some yoke, I offer in slurred dream speech and drizzle, yellow and frothy. From the other end of the house I hear my mother stirring, beginning her daily ministrations in the kitchen. Prepare coffee, feed the dog, feed the cats, open the blinds, take out the trash. Neither of us drinks coffee and the cats have all disappeared, but she clings to her routine, like a sprinkler system that keeps to its diurnal chug long after its owners have fled their home, long after the home has begun to crumble and blow away upon an ancient and dying planet, which in turn persists its weary revolution around a black and shrunken sun.

Back in my bed the ceiling fan is a pin-wheel and I blow and blow, but never send the blades spinning.

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Alisa said...

wow. that made me sad. good job!

how are application things coming along? have you registered for the gre yet? the nagging commences with this comment.. so git 'er done!

we miss you.

 
At November 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Wm. said...

Hey, Alisa. Thanks, more to come on the story. Soon I will face the GRE. It's such a reprehensible beast!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home